Scotty 1.5kW 12-48V CANbus Bi-Directional DC to DC
High frequency planar bi-directional 1500W DC to DC:
These have Low Side and High Side voltage “Pins”.
When the low side pin voltage is higher than the specified set point, power will flow through to the high side to a voltage level specified by the battery charging program.
Load demand by the high side is met by the delivered power until the power supply on the low side cannot meet the power load at which time the voltage will decrease.
When the voltage decreases to below the low side set point, the power flow will stop and may reverse direction if programmed to do so.
That is it. Using voltage as the primary electrical switching function makes it so simple. The result is these products are so reliable to use.
- However, the lithium battery charging program, PID control program, energy management mode program, power management mode program and other functions are complex programs layered on top of the simple electrical control function.
- These products need the right constant CANbus messages as a heart beat to function. The speed is high at 500kBps
- The efficiency is high at > 96%
- There is an internal temp sensor which will cause a power reduction if a setpoint is reached.
A quick recap on fundamentals of Scotty as an Alternator power extractor:
The load to the high side is created by one of the MODE programs and the battery charging program
This pulls power through from the low side providing the low side voltage is greater than the set point.
The alternator’s inbuilt regulator sees the low side load and works to maintain or exceed that voltage.
It is that simple.
Its generally once in a lifetime that we see a revolutionary product that changes the game. Scotty is such a product. The On-road /Off-road feature is a significant game changer that will both save fuel costs when power and energy in the canopy/vehicle is not critical (driving around town during the week) AND flick a switch for abundant power on the weekend off-road. The fuel saving adds value to the product.
There are the ways to apply Scotty to suit:
LC200 or LC79 Series
- Use existing 12V alternator for up to 1,500W (110A at 14.6V) of power charging. This has Scotty directly connected to the Alternator/Battery.
- Upgrade the Alternator to either the brushless 200A or brushed 250A 12V alternator. This will pull up to 3,500W AT IDLE (110A+ at 14.6V) of power charging. This has Scotty directly connected to the Alternator/Battery.
There are the ways to apply Scotty to suit:
Ford Ranger/BT 50/ Y 62/ VW transporter and any vehicle with LINbus controller Alternator
- Use existing 12V alternator for up to 1,500W (110A+ at 14.6V) of power charging. If the alternator is only 150A, then 1,500W of power at road speed, less at idle. This has Scotty directly connected to the Alternator/Battery.
- Use the 1.5kW DC to DC for 12V ONLY power.
These options mean there is no modification to the alternator.
These are the ways to apply Scotty to:
- Mercedes Sprinters
- MAN TGE (VW Crafter collaboration)
- Dodge Ram
- Ford F Trucks
- Any vehicle with second alternator support.
- Use existing 12V alternator for up to 1,500W (110A+ at 14.6V) of power charging. If the alternator is only 150A, then 1,500W of power at road speed. This has Scotty directly connected to the Alternator/Battery.
- Upgrade the Primary Alternator to 250A 12V alternator. This will pull up to 1,500W at idle (110A+ at 14.6V) of power charging. This has Scotty directly connected to the Alternator/Battery.
- Install a second Alternator at 12V 250A. This keeps the existing alternator and “Factory Warranty” Intact. This will pull up to 3,000W (200A+ at 14.6V) of power charging. This has Scotty directly connected to the Alternator/Battery.
- Install a second Alternator at 48V 100A. This will pull up to 5,000W (100A+ at 52V) of power charging directly to 48V batteries. Connect the 12V Pin of Scotty for 12V power in vehicle and also use for winch support.
16,000lb winches require up to 400A at 12V. When combined with the Alternator, Scotty 1500W will deliver 125A at 12V + Alternator capacity for continuous winch operation.
There is 5 years warranty on Scotty. This is a manufacturer’s express warranty and is listed on our website.
1500W 12-24V or 24V-48V CANbus Hybrid Power Charger
- Charges a low side (12V) battery from either 24V, 36V or 48V at 1500W at over 96% efficiency.
- Charges or assists the high voltage (24V, 36V or 48V) battery at 1500W at over 96% efficiency.
- Enters “Pre-charge” mode when the 48V battery has additional external charging (like solar controller or inverter/charger).
- Ruggedized design with 8mm thick aluminum baseplate with 5mm powder coated steel cover.
- Designed to meet MIL-STD-810G for harsh shock and vibration environment
- Compact size of only 160 x 130 x 45 mm.
- Light-weight at only 1.3kgs with a low-profile design
- Efficiency up to 97%, one of the highest power densities available.
- Operational temperature range is -40˚C to 100˚C.
- Safety disconnect switch for charging from or to the 12V battery.
- reverse voltage protection, short circuit protection, as well as low standby current for the low side.
Two-Way Operation at 1,500W
Constant Current Mode and Direction Selection
The charger operates as an ideal current source with variable direction when the output voltage is lower than the voltage specified by the CAN interface. This configuration allows energy transfer between the 12v and 48V. The 12V current can be programmed in the range of 1A-125A. The charger has an internal soft start to reduce inductive voltage drop in the power cables during both turn-on and turn-off. The charger will not operate if the current is set to zero or it is outside the limits. Charging current level can be changed on the fly.
- The direction of the current can be changed dynamically during operation. In that case, the charger will shut down and change the mode of operation through the internal soft start thus eliminating surge current during the direction change.
Safiery use an embedded CANbus controller with interface for complete control of the charger, as well as monitoring the current and the internal temperature.
The following functions are fully controlled via CAN interface:
- Current and voltage set points
- Current direction
- Protection threshold: Under-voltage, Over-voltage and Over-temperature
- In addition, the 12-48V Hybrid CANbus Charger provides low side current monitoring and internal PCB temperature monitoring.