Should I or a Professional Install My Nomadic AC?
I’m ready to buy a Nomadic Cooling Air Conditioner, but I’m on the fence about whether I should install it myself or get an expert. What should I consider when making this choice?
Deciding whether to install a DC air conditioner in your van yourself or hire an expert involves various considerations. Here are some factors to think about:
- Skill and Experience: DIY: Assess your own skills and experience with electrical and automotive work. Installing a DC air conditioner can be complex, so you should have a good understanding of both electrical systems and automotive mechanics. Expert: Hiring a professional who specializes in automotive air conditioning installations ensures that the job is done correctly and safely.
- Tools and Equipment: DIY: You’ll need the necessary tools and equipment for the installation, which can be expensive. Make sure you have access to the tools and space required for the job. Expert: Professionals typically have access to the specialized tools and equipment needed for such installations.
- Safety: DIY: Working with electrical components can be hazardous if not done correctly. Ensure you have the knowledge and safety measures in place to prevent accidents. Expert: Professionals are trained to follow safety protocols, reducing the risk of accidents during the installation.
- Warranty and Reliability: DIY: If you install the air conditioner yourself, you might not have access to a warranty and the reliability of the system may be lower if not installed correctly. Expert: Hiring a professional often comes with warranties and guarantees for their work, which can provide peace of mind.
- Compatibility: DIY: Ensure that the DC air conditioner unit you choose is compatible with your specific van model and electrical system. This requires research and potentially custom modifications. Expert: Professionals are knowledgeable about different van models and can help you choose the right unit and ensure compatibility.
- Regulations and Permits: DIY: Be aware of any local regulations or permits required for modifying your van’s electrical system or installing an air conditioner. Expert: Professionals are typically aware of these regulations and can ensure compliance.
- Cost: DIY: DIY installations may be cheaper in terms of labor costs, but you should consider the cost of tools, materials, and potential mistakes. Expert: Hiring a professional will have a higher upfront cost but can save you money in the long run by avoiding potential issues and ensuring efficient installation.
- Time and Convenience: DIY: Installing an air conditioner yourself can be time-consuming, and it may take a while to complete, depending on your skills and availability. Expert: Professionals can typically complete the installation more quickly, minimizing downtime for your van.
- Warranty and Service: Consider whether you want ongoing service and maintenance for your air conditioner. Professionals often offer service packages.
In summary, the decision to install a DC air conditioner in your van yourself or hire an expert depends on your skills, resources, safety considerations, and the complexity of the installation. If you’re not confident in your abilities, it's generally advisable to seek the expertise of a professional to ensure a safe and reliable installation.
The best part of purchasing a Nomadic Cooling X3 or X2 is the 2 year warranty. No other air conditioner in the industry backs their products like that. Our dedicated staff ensures that our customers have what they need from a superior product to technical support to awesome customer service to make for a great experience!!